Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Let me set the stage...

It is breakfast. Kids are scattered about the table. Some are washing dishes. Some are finishing their grits. Others are gathering backpacks and treats. I am in the livingroom checking the weather when I hear a soft voice reading the 10 Commandments off the wall. "Number 1, Thou shalt not have no other God's before me. Second, Thou shalt not worship any Garden Image." Gherkin is serious. She is reading across the room. I hear first a few snickers. Then Sir Talks A Lot belts out, "Oh, Holy Carrot! Thy All Knowing Head of Lettuce!" and carries on for 2 or 3 minutes. Then fast forward to dinner and everyone is talking loudly and quickly. I serve the Homemade Ragu, which turned out better than I could have imagined. Everyone starts talking about their day and competing for attention. Then it gets a little quieter as they start eating. I pick up my fork and I go to take a bite. Sauce and a tomato is flung on my hand. I look up and ask, "Who just flung sauce on my hand?" I survey the room and everyone looks at me, making eye contact but Gherkin. "Sorry." comes the meek reply as everyone bursts into laughter. Then I keep telling everyone to be quiet, and they are just geting anxious about Christmas Break and Holidays and everything and so keeping them focused is at best, difficult. So after numerous reminders, everyone is still noisy and bouncing off the walls. I tell Gherkin, "You know, your not showing me that you are very smart in following directions." She immediately deadpans, "No, I'm really not. " They are all like this, just Gherkin's stick in my head because they are funnier. They are all as my husband likes to say, "Wound up like a 6 day clock!" I hope I make it to Christmas!

0 comments: