Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Happiness is....

Ok, I have been trying to teach my kids to crochet and knit. However it has been difficult at best as I have only the slightest clue of what I am doing. It didn't take long before they swept passed me and I had to revert to a book. Problem 1, they don't know what the signs mean. Problem 2, I don't know what the signs and symbols mean either. So we searched far and wide and found a family in the next town the is proficient in all aspects. This family now tutors my kids in crocheting and knitting. What a perfect solution, now I don't have to stress, about something I don't know and they can learn to their hearts content and I have never owned such a wide variety of dishcloths that now double as a scouring pad for a fraction of the cost! Amazing.
Ok, so on to happiness. My daughters got crochet hooks for Christmas and they were really excited, hence my overflowing kitchen drawer. However, we also have 2 mischevious little boys under the age of 4 that like pretty, shiny and brightly colored objects too. This causes some distress as they remove best loved items and never remember where they are. So after the tears dried, they did what they do best. They figured out a solution. Best part, they left Mom out of the equation, so I was really surprised to find....
They taught themselves to crochet with their fingers as the needles!!! I never would have thought that was an option. But, I am the proud wearer of a purple and white and black crocheted necklace! It is possible! Who knew? Neccesity is the mother of invention especially when you know that Mom is not buying another one until you find it. Eventually they did find them, but most often now they just use their fingers because it makes them really happy. Talk about using your own two little hands to beautify your home! These are the BEST dishcloths too! Who knew? Not me. So happiness is flooding our home, all because of two little hands and a little ball of yarn. I am so proud of them.

5 comments:

Dianne said...

where's the pictures? i want to see pictures of the finger work crochet in action and the result! i think that's great!!! GO SMARTIES!!

Filmmer on Location said...

Cute! I remember one winter when all of my siblings were living at home and it was really cold. So we were all confined to our basement where the wood burning stove was and to amuse ourselves we all finger knitted a chain a mile long. Yeah I think we still have it at home but that was a good time. I too would love to see pics of the necklaces!P

La Familia Mata said...

That's fun! I appreciate all of your homemade recipes. Once I get back into my home I can't wait to try them out!

Krista said...

Ya...I want to see their creation! Children will accomplish what they want to do...no matter what! Why can't I?

Jolley's said...

So cool. Wish I was closer cuz I'm always looking for someone to knit and crochet with. Good job guys. Post pics of their work.