I had never heard of this, but choose it because every item is in my long term food storage. It is actually pretty good. Not the healthiest of foods, but the kids really liked it. Every once in a while it would be fun and a break from the normal foods.
Pie Crust
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening (can also use lard)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 egg
3 1/2 Tbsp ice water
In a mixing bowl, take a whisk and combine flour and salt. (This is a shortcut to sifting.) With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until it is uniform in shape. It will be coarse. (You can use two knives if you can't find yours after the kids put away the dishes.)
In a separate bowl, blend vinegar, egg, and water.
Make a well in your flour mixture, and pour your vinegar mixture in. Stir until well blended. Work the dough into a ball. Divide into 2 smaller balls.
For each pie crust, (this will make 2) press one ball flat into a circle with smooth edges. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8 in. thick, with a diameter that is 1 1/2 in larger than your pie pan. Work the dough from the center to the edge. Roll dough around your rolling pin and unroll over pie plate. The less you handle, the better it tastes. Make as decorative or plain as you wish.
Oatmeal Filling:
1/2 cup margarine or butter (Margarine is cheaper)
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup rolled oats (this is the THICKER oat, not quick oats. Makes a big difference.)
1/2 cup walnut pieces (Optional. I detest nuts for the most part and it tasted fine to us.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out and line a 8 in pie plate with pastry.
Melt margarine in a small saucepan over low heat.
In a mixing bowl, cream together margarine, sugar, and eggs.
Add corn syrup, oats and walnuts (If you like them).
Pour in a pie shell and bake for 1 hour, until thick inside and golden on top.
This is an old world recipe and has been handed down in different Amish families for generations. They used to make their own corn syrup but most often buy it like we do, but I snagged a recipe! So once I perfect that, I will pass it on too. They have used this for their Wedding Dinners. I think I like cake, but it is different and rich and super sweet. This can stay for a few days and gets richer the longer it sets.
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




0 comments:
Post a Comment