Numerous people it seems don't really understand why I do what I do. So I thought maybe it might be beneficial to explain why.
Many friends that I adore and love, but hold slightly different values than I do have requested that I come out and enjoy Sturgis. I do enjoy Sturgis when I can, I grew up in Iowa, and almost every year I have attended the Sturgis Falls Day Event. You listen to music and they have family activities and it is generally a good time. Until it gets a little too late at night and people will act as they do in large groups and adding alcohol.
There have been invites to congregate at the Beer Tent and down a few before relaxing and let it all hang out. This is my line of reasoning, not to offend anyone, just to help others understand my view.
I refrain from drinking alcohol. Not because of the taste, which I don't care for anyway.
Not even because of the lines of alcohol abuse that have ran through my family, although that in itself is a good reason.
Not because I want to not hide from my problems, sometimes it would be really nice to not have to worry about different things and have a respite for a few hours, I can see the pull from that.
Not because it is unhealthy and basically a poison that enters your blood stream, and effects your thinking and if it is deterimental to an infant in the womb, it is affecting more than you realize, no not just because of that because that would be a good reason too.
Not because it can make you feel flighty and everything is funny and takes the pressure off speaking coherently, you can always blame alcohol. I frequently feel kinda stupid anyway, I don't need any help. No, it more personal than that.
My decision is based on one reason alone. I have noticed one thing about alcohol and anger in my life. The two stunt me, they stop the freeflow of a relationship most precious to me. I have noticed and repeatedly seen it played over and over that when I am angry, no matter if it is a righteous anger or not, the Spirit does not reside. It limits my access. He will not reside in a setting like that. The same has gone for alcohol. My senses are dulled and I do not feel the Spirit. I am more likely to say things I regret, I hurt people more easily and I don't have that moments pause. I love the feeling of being wrapped up in the Spirit. I love being able to be warned and teachable. I don't attend bars and the like because I don't feel the quiet comforter, He leaves. When I am doing things that are pleasing to Him, I feel Him. When I am not, He departs. I hate that. I love having His constant guidance and protection. I would much rather keep His Spirit with me than accomodate any other earthly thing. It is very easy to abstain from alcohol. Anger is not as easily controlled. I am working on it though. I forge ahead and as I do, I see the great blessings He has given me. I see the beauty of the earth and am constantly aware. So, please don't be offended if I brush off any attempts at groupings in places that I don't think I will be able to feel Him. His relationship is so important to me, I can't bear to not have Him near.
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




2 comments:
Good for you.
I always thought that the whole peer pressure thing would be gone after high school. It didn't. Old pressures are just replaced by new ones, and we have to continually decide what is most important to us.
You've made the right decision.
What a great oppotunity to share the gosple! Stick with it, you will be blessed. Love you!
Post a Comment