Friday, October 23, 2009

Applebutter

I have no hard and fast recipe for Apple Butter. Wish I did. I just eyeball things from watching my Great Aunt Mildred growing up and sisters and adding my own spin.It all depends on what you like and how many apples you have access to.
First you core and peel the apples. Dice. Throw in a pot and cook down until it is mushy. Add sugar to taste. Cinnamon, ginger, cloves and sometimes I add nutmeg. Depends on my fancy that day. After you seasoned how you like it, I use a stick blender to make it really smooth. Just like butter. There are other options though. You can just cook the whole apple. It releases the natural pectin and adds flavor. Then run through a food mill. I don't have a food mill so I make it the first way. You can add pectin. Approx. 1/2 a cup to each recipe. You can also put it in a crockpot so you don't have to stand over it. I prefer to stand over it though. Everyone in this house starts smelling it. They wait until your not paying attention and start taking spoonfuls here and there and you can lose half of what you made. So, if I want anything to can or freeze. I am tied to the stove. Not a bad place to be I might add. It's warm and everyone comes to visit. :) You won't be lonely. I have to add, you may never eat commercial apple butter ever again. It just isn't the same. Makes your mouth happy.

2 comments:

Kim said...

sounds yummy.

Cyndie said...

THANK YOU!!!!! I will most definitly be making this!!