Friday, October 16, 2009

Scat Kitty

We do a lot in our home. We travel from the driveway to the front door carrying supplies, groceries, work-school-kids, you name it we probably carry it. I spend a lot of time near the back patio doors since this is where my kitchen sets. Most days I can be found stirring, baking, concocting something for dinner or a science project.
A few months ago.
A little cat showed up. It reminded us of socks, our kitty from the last farm. I didn't say much even though I am allergic to cats. He was kinda cute and about 4 months old.
Anytime I went out to the van or car, that cat was there.
Tripping through my legs. Working the kids into a literal frenzy.
Puppie and Frosty chasing him EVERYWHERE, making every outside step an adventure as I tried to accomplish things and not trip and keep track of the little ones by the busy highway.
He was getting irritating.
Fast forward a few weeks and he decided he liked what was being made in the kitchen. Seemed like everytime I fired up the stove, magically, he appeared on my deck. Head bowed and trying to push open the door. Kind of annoying when you sit the family down and 1/3 of the table is getting up to touch the kitty through the glass.
I delivered stern warnings about playing with the kitty and NO feeding this cat." OK!" They all say, but if this cat is eating at the neighbor's he REALLY likes our house. I step out on the front porch and he is nibbling at the edge of my capris. "Why don't you just go home little cat?" I ask.
He prefers it here.
I go back in the house to load up on benedryl since my eyes are itching, my throat is constricting and nose is starting to run.
I hear someone knocking at the door. I answer. FedEx. Delivering a Huge package from my Aunts. I open in surprise to see an 11x20 spiritual thought. Wow, and several cd's with Family History encased.
I hear the door a little more muted, but insistent nonetheless.
I see no one, odd.
Again, a little louder.
Empty.
I am starting to wonder. Check out the boys. Nope. Nothing they could be making that sound with. 4 more times.
Then I see a dark grey streak out of the corner of my eye sprint across my yard and fly up the deck. Seconds later the sound. Streak again, opposite direction.
Are you kidding me?

A cat?

Is ditching my door?

What?

I step outside and go around the back and HE DOES IT AGAIN!

Why you annoying, little pestering kitty!
I smile.
This is actually pretty funny.

Kids come home everyone smiles and talks to the kitty while waiting on the bus.
"NO, leave the kitty alone! He needs to go home."
RIGHT. When pigs fly.

The kids go work on the basement. Dad reminds them after they all come up, "Did you lock the basement door?"
"I'll get it" is the worn out reply.

Now the kitty is not only annoying me during the day, he travels right outside my bedroom window and walks across things where at 2 am with boards moving sounds like footsteps. Talk about waking you up, and not going back to sleep! Then on a few occasions decided to bring an army of FOUR cats to fight at 3 am under my deck. Not appreciated so much. He did do well, I might add considering he was so much younger than the rest.

So, I don't think much about hearing a cat all night. I am annoyed in the am from being kept up, my kids all have colds and I waken with a pounding headache, stuffed and runny nose, itchy eyes. I go about my day and comment to my husband." That cat is LOUD today." He doesn't hear it. Couple more times I say, "I have never heard him so much." Brad grunts.

I get dinner made and kids set the table and I look to the back door, no kitty.
Frosty and Cookie Monster announce they have named the kitty, Blackie.
"Ugh, they named the kitty. Now he has to move with us!" I complain. My husband snorts.
I hear the kitty again.
"That CAT is in my garage." Brad finally hears him. We send kids to the basement and they pull him out.
My heart sinks. "Oh man, Brad should we get him something to eat or drink? He has been locked in the basement for so long!" Brad says, "No, he is a hunter, he will be fine." "Are you sure?" "Honey, it's an outside cat."
"Ok."

The cat runs off. The next day, back at the patio. All day. Thumping the door and running away.
This time it's more amusing.

The bus empties at my house of 6 pounding footsteps and hundreds of voices all vying for my immediate attention. "Quiet!" I repeat to no avail for like 10 minutes. Papers are flying everywhere as teachers need this and that signed. The din becomes a dull roar, as they start their homework. Dinner and time for church activities. My van has died, so I can only take a couple of kids in the car at a time. I drive the quarter mile to church. Somebody smooshed kitty. He is splayed out on the highway.
We offer a little prayer and thank Him for the annoying Cat named Blackie that we suddenly miss and hope he didn't hurt too much. I called Brad to tell him and even he was sad. So funny how animals can come in your life and be totally annoying and wriggle their way right into your heart anyway.

1 comments:

Filmmer on Location said...

Whether they be big, small, someone else's, your own or just a picture of one; all animals will touch us in some way or another. Thank you for reminding me.