DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let the fact that cornmeal is in this recipe delude you into not trying it. Do not eat these very often either. They are REALLY good. The pictures do not do them justice. The last ones we made where much prettier, but they were eaten faster than I could pick up them camera. Pretty much went like this, fry, drip, coat and GONE. Oh well, people were happy. We had a tasting night of items you could make from things you could store in relative ease in case of lost jobs and things. Apparently blogger has some issues with my word program so.... because I LOVE all of you so much and I think this is a fun recipe to have I will type it out for you. I am sure I will be blessed somewhere for this! tee hee hee
Indian Cornmeal Donuts
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup OR 5 1/3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
Oil for deep fat frying
Powdered Sugar
Start with, heat the milk in a small saucepan just until it boils. Immediately turn it off and set aside.
Place your cornmeal in a large bowl and pour hot milk on it. Mix quickly and lightly.
Gather flour, sugar,baking powder,cinnamon,nutmeg, and salt. Grab a whisk and mix together, viola! You have sifted! Moving on, stir the melted butter and egg into the Cornmeal mixture. Combine flour mixture and cornmeal mixture and you are now well on your way to yummies.
The dough should be firm enough to handle but not too much flour or it won't be soft. If you need to add more flour, try not to add more than a Tbsp at a time, or they could be too heavy.
Stick the dough in the refrigerator for 30 min.
Grab a tsp. and pull off in small sections, maybe an inch to 1 and a half inch sections. The bigger they are the harder they are to cook throughly without burning the outside.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees in a heavy pot. If you overheat it will make them taste weird.You don't want that. I use a candy thermometer to make sure it is accurate. Work in batches, do not overcrowd the pot or they will become laden in oil. Icky. Fry and turn occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cool a second, and eat. Or do the Frisbie way, pop in hot and dance around the kitchen with your mouth wide open and declaring it's hotness to your mother loudly including a tri-state area. Your call. Enjoy!
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




1 comments:
I can't wait to try them! And I love the "Frisbie way of eating them"! You are funny!
Post a Comment