Monday, June 16, 2008

I just want people to know...

You can really be proud of your fellow men. These are the volunteers, the city workers, pulling together, standing in dangerous situations to protect loss of life and property. It really is as bad or worse as the news makes it sound.
I can't stress enough how important it is to have 72 hr kits, how important it is to have them ready and accessible. Some of us had 2 days warning. NO ONE knew how far it would reach. You can blame the Govt., whoever you want, no one expected the far reaching effects. It will take YEARS to recover. We have to be responsible for ourselves. If just half of of the 30,000 people had a 2 week water supply and 72 hrs worth of food and clothes, we wouldn't be seeing the pain and anguish we do now. If people had started the gathering when first warned, instead of saying, it will never happen to me... More property would have been protected, and we wouldn't be squeezing all the resources so tight around us. I am not blaming anyone, I am just offering this as a lesson to be learned. No one is going to care more about your family than you! Shouldn't we do something to protect ourselves in the event that these things will affect us? So much that could have been avoided. I am grateful to have the ability to store things, and if they float down the river, maybe someone farther down needs them more than I. I know that we will be blessed for our obedience though. I am grateful for the things I am seeing and for the Emergency Preparedness Clinic we will be running at the County Fair to teach others what to do in a blackout, ice storms, tornadoes, flood, fires, earthquakes ect. I may start posting some of the information here, please add anything you feel tip wise that can reduce stress on people and resources. Remember, we love all of you and pray for your safety. Hoping that some of this will be useful to help you protect your families because I have to believe this is just the beginning. Something stored is exactly that. Something and when you can look into your kids eyes and see their fears or needs and can say here and ease it, you will be that much more grateful KNOWING you did all you could.







2 comments:

Krista said...

I am truly grateful for the lesson learned. Just as I always do, I assumed we were prepared. Not so! We are improving our awareness and emergency preparedness each day. And yes I am grateful for the trials we as a country are faced with. In the church we have a special bond. It is not until a disaster happens that we feel that bond in our communities and our country.
Thanks for your thoughts!!

Melzie said...

You know, I so agree-- I am grateful for knowing that we shoudl be prepared. I know that our family doesn't have the year supply, but what supply we DO have has come in handy many times during job loss, sickness, and our own natural disasters.

Many thoughts!