We added Wheat Flour to ours to make them a little healthier. If you don't add wheat, they will be softer and not so dark. Either way, I never knew that homemade tortillas tasted so much better! Wow, what a difference in softness than the stores. We just make basic beans boiled with some bacon strips and add salt and pepper to taste. Our measurements I am sure are way to big for most of you since sometimes we begin with a number 10 can of DRY beans. We store in the freezers for leftovers though. We don't eat 1 and a half gallons of just beans at a time. Ok, so then if you want to make into burritos, we add cumin to to the beans and sometimes onion powder and garlic powder whatever we feel like that day. It really is easier than I thought. Tortillas are much easier than I thought too, once you get the knack. I don't have the knack but it is ok. Princess, Soccer Angel and Plan B, all roll out really well and make circles. I make oblong egg shaped things, but I am learning to live with my imperfections and be ok with it. They however, excel, so they get that part. On to the recipe.
Tortillas
2 cups Flour
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp melted shortening
2/3 c water
Mix dry ingredients. Slowly add shortening and water. Mix and knead. Don't let it be too wet or crumbly. Add a little water or flour as needed. It should be smooth and elastic and not grab your hands too much. Divide into 12 equal balls. Let rest for 10 min to up to a hour and a half. Flatten out thin and cook over a medium skillet until puffy and has light brown marks, much easier to see without wheat flour, but try and see what you like. When we quadruple the recipe we replace 2 cups of flour with whole wheat flour. You can add a little baking powder too, but you will have to increase the liquid or the oil. Good luck. We sometimes times the recipe by eight and spend a whole afternoon playing with it. The kids really like it when they can get in and do stuff. Love to create!
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




1 comments:
These look soooo yummy. I might have to try this! THANK YOU for sharing and being an awesome momma!
:0)
Post a Comment