You would not believe how much these guys have gotten done! This handful of kids received a table FULL of Merit Badges. It was incredible! They are all well on their ways to receiving their Eagle Scouts. Most were advanced to Star. I can't wait until their next Court of Honor and see what they get done. The more focused they are in doing good things, the less apt they are to act out of line. I am so proud of them. They stand head and shoulders above so many their ages. They know what they want. They have plans, they WORK for their goals. I have had a lot of opportunities to work with various kids over the years.
Please forgive me for my long windedness, I have something to say though if you can stand to listen, I am amazed at the next coming generation. I see things so different than they do in many respects, which is to be expected, but let me tell you a few of my insights. I see a lot of kids roaming the square, trolling the parks, dumping garbage cans over, terrorizing kids younger and weaker than they are. They pretend to have sex or do in the parks and scream really loud for no apparent reason than to see if their vocal cords still work. I see them knocking over displays in the stores and just seeing what havoc they can cause. Interestingly enough, I never see adults with them. If they are with them they look angry, sullen or embarrassed. The parents are often staring off, never paying attention to these youth even while in their very midst if they are with them. You don't see a lot of interaction unless it is people slightly older trying to use these kids for money, drugs or sex.
Now all hope is not lost, as I think ugh! These people will be able to VOTE in a few years!
No, it is not lost, for I see another group of kids, they come from every walk of life. They stand of in defense of right against wrong. They think and express their opinions well. They have opinions independent at times of their parents. How do I know this? I hear them discussing it with their parents. Logically, systematically, point for point. Usually with respectful tones and a great deal of humor. Are they perfect? No, but the difference seems to be that their focus is their families and improving themselves. They are not stuck on themselves and so worried about the latest gadgets and designer clothing. They are concerned with making a difference in the world and reaching out a helping hand to others. I see them cleaning the parks instead of trashing them. I see them playing with other smaller kids and making sure they are happy and their joy increases. I see them donate their time to writing letters to lonely people, I see them visiting people who are sick and elderly, and getting to know them. I see them watching for the signs of the earth and acting accordingly. I see the love developed in brother and sister relationships. I see them reading and pondering their scriptures and changing their lives because they recognize something isn't quite right with what they are doing. Do you see why I have so much hope for the future? Anyone who is able to kneel before their Father in Heaven and receive a revelation just for them and takes the time to study their scriptures daily, will never be able to be led far astray. I truly believe this with my whole heart. You will always be able to be gathered in and be an instrument in His hands. Yes, this is an inspiring generation, for when push comes to shove, these are they that will stand and cause their Mother's to weep with pride and admiration for they who stand for truth and righteousness and not swayed by the winds of change. They will always be trusted to do the right things and give of themselves with their whole hearts. They are everywhere. They are probably shunned for the most part by the popular kids. They will be found other places than the malls most likely, but they are active, they are responsible and they are everywhere making a difference in every life they touch. All over the world. I am amazed and humbled, to be in their midst.
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




2 comments:
Wow! You know, its strange, I feel as though I only left there a couple of months ago (which I did) but they all grew up fast. I mean really, really fast! I swear I was just in Young Women and these guys were just primary boys! It amazes even me.
AMEN!!
So easy to look at these times and think that things will just keep getting worse. So much better to look around for the reasons that they won't.
Post a Comment