We have had a whirlwind of days. First my sister came to visit. That was great, but we didn't sleep much. Then we morphed quickly into one teenager blowing a gasket. What? Does that happen? Unfortunately. This one has lasted almost a week now. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we are moving forward. I was making chicken soup in the kitchen and calmly chopping vegetables, Brad moseys through the kitchen to head for the bathroom and relieve his cold symptoms. I notice that I am hearing for the first time in all our time living here, a blaring horn followed by: THIS IS A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM. THIS IS ONLY A TEST.
hmmm, I muse. They finally made it so we can hear it. We live on the outskirts of town and only heard it a few times even though it went off constantly last summer. This was loud and clear. I go back to chopping vegetables. Frosty who was been working with his Dad, barrels through the house, his yellow coat fanning out behind him like superman, his cowboy boots thundering. His eyes are HUGE. His breathing is labored. "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!" He gasps. I drop my knife thinking something is really wrong and wondering where Puppie is. "Mommy, I heard it! I was outside and Jesus was talking to me! He said this was only a test!" He was in such earnest! He was practically becoming the table trying to get closer to me. I hear a low, muffled laugh emanating from the bathroom, growing louder all the time. I couldn't help it either, I started laughing. It was the best stress reliever we had in a month. We calmed him down, he wasn't upset, he was excited! I tried to explain as best as I could to this little 4 year old guy that it was a test and that it was used to warn us of tornadoes, he got a little worried. So we hugged and he said it still sounded like Jesus, only louder. He climbed off my lap and went and played. I thought about that all evening and giggled. He then asked later, How will I know when it really is Jesus? I thought about that and said well first you will here the trumpet. His eyes were shining again, I had inadvertantly led him down the wrong road. I heard it! No, that was a horn. It will be different. How? I am not sure. Then I thought, yes I do. When you hear it, it will cause you to kneel. You will know it is Jesus through the feelings in your chest. Did you feel it in your chest? Like when you pray? No. Then if you are doing what is right, you will have that feeling and you will know. OK! He shot off. No more discussion, he was satisfied. I however, really thought about it though. He taught me a really powerful lesson yesterday. I have taught my children, He will come, We will hear the sound of the trump, we will hear a voice from the heavens. He was looking for it. Was I at that very hour? Am I prepared? Will I be that happy? Or will I be waiting for the mountains to cave in on me from something I haven't felt a great desire to repent of yet? Preparing for my household against the storms of life is an incredible thing and a immense blessing. It has blessed us more than a time or two. The spiritual preparations though. The every morning and every night family prayer. The scripture reading in the early morning and studying as a family. The Monday Night Family Night where we teach each other and play and have a yummy dessert. The Wednesday nights when we gather with friends and teach other. The everyday sacrifices we make for eachother, building unity and strength in our family. The love we show unfeigned. The service we give. These are the things we do to prepare for His coming. Are our lamps trimmed? Are we gathering every drop of oil to save and prepare for his coming? Are we looking forward with an eye of faith? I am so glad I have so many children to lead me! This life really is only a test. A test that only we can take together. I could go on for hours on this but I have an appointment with my family to remind us of our priorities and to play and laugh and love and dye Easter Eggs. I wanna see what else they teach me today.
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




5 comments:
OK...that was FUNNY. Thanks for making my day (actually it was already made when I attended the temple this morning but thanks for making it better) :)
How cute is that!!
That. Was. GREAT. I'm still laughing, and your point was well-told.
What a funny kid. Thanks for your thoughts.:)
I love it! Oh to be a 4 year old and be THAT excited about hearing the horn and thinkin' Jesus is HERE!!! So cute. And yes. You are doing a great job raising them to listen and pay attention and KNOW that Jesus is coming. Your a good momma!
Post a Comment