Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Parable of the Puzzle





















As a family activity, we worked on a puzzle together that means something to us.
When we first began, I passed out to each person, 3 puzzle pieces. I told them to put the puzzle together. They were confused. How could they, they didn't have enough. So, I gave them a few more. They still said it wasn't enough. I told them I had all the pieces. That didn't help them though. They had to work together and combine talents and resources. As some became greedy and started hoarding pieces, they were convicted and lost rights to that which they had already been given. They earned pieces back by unselfish behavior and just for breathing. We talked about faith, good works, grace, goals, and unconditional love.
It was amazing how everyone worked together. Each of us have been endowed with different gifts. It was incredible to me as I watched my family work together in a common goal, how our different traits and talents manifested themselves. Some took to sorting the puzzle first by color. Some looked for the edge pieces. Some sorted by pictures they could discern. Some worked outside in, some inside out. Isn't that so much like life itself? We all have different talents and thought processes. We moved much faster and had so much more fun as we used each others strengths and allowed each person to try. We pass through this life and sometimes get so stuck in the busyness of it all that we forget to pay attention to the lessons that we are being taught and the blessings that are bestowed we take for granted. So here is to looking from the inside out and changing ourselves first, then lifting up others. Here is to Family Goals and love for one another and challenges, failures, and success. Through it all, we will remain focused on Him. I wish I wasn't so tired so I could explain every thought we had and how much we learned, but it is probably best if you think of your own analogies and maybe I will revisit this in later postings and what we have learned and how we have got from there to here.

4 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

Coming from someone who absolutely cannot do a puzzle, I find this to be a wonderful analogy to life.

Alone, we just can't do as much. Together, we can do everything.

I'm going to buy a puzzle for my family now...

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Great analogies here.

Like the body of Christ, we're all a part of it. And to complete the picture, each piece is needed. ...

You need "corner pieces" (A Cornerstone?) to hold things together.

As puzzle pieces interlock, so too does God piece our lives together -- fitting us one, next to another, next to another.

Oh this is fun. Thanks for making me think.

Dianne said...

Great idea! And wonderful life lessons in a puzzle! There's so much to learn from all around us. Thanks for sharing.

Sockrma18 said...

You are so wise and really such a wonderful mother. Your children are blessed to have you on their side....