Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas Letter or Whatever


It has truly been a year. We have persevered through much this year and in the end, in the solitude of my bedroom that my husband painted 2 shades of purple for me to surprise me, I sit and reflect on my blessings.
We should have welcomed our 10th child into our family this year. I should be setting up the crib and washing the last minute items. I should be giggling as my kids bend their ears to my belly and hearing them make promises to see you soon and watching my husband sing to my belly and see it dance. I should be complaining and saying, I just want this baby to be born. Now, I only wish he were still here. I would gratefully endure every problem pregnancy poses for me, and right now, never muttering a complaint.
Just like always, there is a positive to every negative. What I have seen in response still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. I have seen an appreciation grow between my children that they never came close to before. They have learned the hard life lesson that nothing is for sure and things happen beyond our control. That life is precious and every moment spent together has deeper meaning and is more cherished. We still hurt, we still play, we still serve, but we are more careful with tender feelings and not as apt to make light of things that maybe someone is sensitive to. We are constantly aware of the silence of one, but it tightens our bond and allows us to lean on one another and live to the fullest.
We should have had the best financial year ever this year, and life should have been much easier than in years past. Many have not met their obligations. However, it has been the greatest year of growth. We have learned how to keep basically our same standard of living, by creating everything we want, ourselves. We have learned to cook anything, well. We have made soaps, lotions, perfumes and all kinds of bath items. We have created table decorations and framed pictures and beautified our home with our own hands. We have strengthened our sewing skills and made items I never dreamed of making before and made the kids tag a long and learn right alongside me. We have laughed at our mistakes, cheered at our achievements and sorrowed together with our failures and stood back up and resolved to perfect it, together. We tried landscaping this year, and like the classic o-a family that we are, made a 16 ft star in our front yard. I have never kept anything alive besides people before so working the soil with my kids, has been so rewarding. It was success! We started a plan for a greenhouse and took bold steps to increase our food storage, with the economy we have,we decided to really invest that way with a family our size.
We have increased the spiritual strength in our family by getting up at 5am and studying the scriptures as a family to make sure it is done and have reaped a multiplicity of blessings. The softened hearts, the love towards one another, the kind acts of service preformed in each other's behalf. Wow, they amaze me. We have faced our greatest challenges and been welded together with a bond that no one can break, only ourselves. We have faced parents from previous marriages rebuff and no longer acknowledge their children and we have forged that bond and given ourselves permission to love freely and truly create a family. In our greatest weaknesses, we have truly found our strength. It is Us. Through Him, who created us. I am truly grateful for everything I have. I have a life worth living. I have a family I can count on. I have problems I can solve. I have the greatest gift of all, love. So even though 2008 should have been the worst year of my life, I am choosing to count it as the best. For in it, I have found peace.
For those of you who want the standard update...
Bradyn is no longer blind and has no more seizures. No medical staff can explain, I know why. He sees things others miss. He is active and fun loving and loves to sing and "play, ball".
Bryan is a crazy boy. He has no fear and thinks he is a contractor. He is a boy with gusto. He is like a small tornado in a room full of toys and frequently has the telltale bumps and bruises of a life well lived. He is still waiting for a pony to complete his cowboy world. Loves his boots and wants 5 dogs.
Stephanie has lost a record number of teeth this year and we are thinking dentures maybe in her near future as the spaces aren't being filled in very fast. She is at the top of her class and loves to read. Very social.
Allison is a one-woman show. She frequently is found cheering others up and making mischief of one kind or another. Often thinking of ways to keep green crayons out of Amanda's hands.: ) She is a reader and at the top of her class as well. Very creative.
Mikayla is the newest inductee into Twilight Series fan club. She loves to read and is at the top of her class and is studying clarinet and sings in Sunrise Singers. She is always on the look out to make all things fair. Fast approach into the world of teenagedom.
Christina is on the Honor Roll and is playing Alto Sax this year and is 2nd chair and rapidly closing in on1st. She played Clarinet 2yrs before. She just started Twilight and I am sure she will be rapidly advanced into the Twilight Syndrome. She loves art in all its forms and is learning to cook. She also sings in the Concert Choir.
Brett is on the Honor Roll and loves Band. Percussion is his life. He does drum solos while drying and putting away dishes and writing songs for the Band, Stand Up he and some of his very talented friends created. He is involved in the Scouts and a counselor in his Young Men's Program which he loves. He and Christina both serve as Youth Reps for the stake. They are in working with a number of youth on a summer program 300-400 people strong and all the church activities for the rest of the year,2009.
Sarah is on the honor roll and has taken her place leading the YW of our ward.She reaches out to all and tries to make sure everyone is included. She is learning to cook and is very active with sports and has a competitive streak that leaves her lonely for someone to play board games with a house full of kids. She has really grown up a lot this year.
Nicole is attending college and dating and working a lot. She is her Dad's right arm and intuitively knows what he wants usually before he asks and tries to keep him on time with his busy schedule.
Brad is working like crazy around the clock, but has made several plans to slow down soon and remember to enjoy his family too. We all miss him, but know why he is working so much. He gives his all with everything he does and loves with a heart unmatched. He has many projects going and completes them all with a certain flair. He is keeping his good humor as we contemplate the pros and the cons of beginning another business to run alongside this one. We will see what the New Year brings.
Lorianne is still doing Pampered Chef but has become sidetracked by life. Family is more important though. She has been running the Young Women's Program at Church and has been very busy with that. She loves it though.
Brad and Lorianne have become pros at lack of sleep management with their heavy loads but are still happy, still in love, still leaning on each other, still growing and learning and still imperfect. Still working on our home in the midst of it all. But isn't that why we are still here? Hoping you all have a wonderful New Year and am grateful to know all of you!!
Frisbies Forever

5 comments:

The Hanselmann Family said...

You are a standard to live up to Lori! I wish that I had the drive to do what you do!! Love you!

Cyndie said...

Your family is so amazing. You have always been such an example to me.

Sockrma18 said...

Wow. What a year. And what an awesome way to look at the valleys that you have gone through in 2008. You are so inspirational....mostly cuz you raise all those kids and still find time to take care of you, but also because you can see the light in the darkness. You go girl. Your rewards in heaven will be worth the pain in this world.

And....TAG! You are IT!! Go read my blog and "do 'yo thing"!!!

Sockrma18 said...

Girl....this summer I might just head that way and take your family pictures. NO CHARGE. You are in the Iowa City area right? I go that way a few times a year and would LOVE to take some family pictures of your huge family! I see it as "training"....11 people would be and interesting and a wonderful challenge! I'll be sure to let you know in advance when I'm coming your way!!! :)

Kim said...

Loved your post and getting to know your family a little better.