Ok, this is an adapted recipe. I think it cleans better than regular soap but it doesn't leave a scent like commercial brands. You may add essential oils, but it makes it more expensive. I bought several gallons of supplies, I haven't had to buy anymore since May for a family of 11. We do a lot of laundry! Our clothes are clean too. It has stood up to Construction dirt too. That is saying quite a bit. If you can't get the stink out, add vinegar to the item first. Don't worry it rinses clean and makes it brighter.
Homemade Laundry Soap
1/2 bar of Fels Naptha Soap grate with a cheese grater OR If you are rushed for time, use a micro-plane adjustable grater and it will grate really fine and you won't have to wait very long to melt at all. (Laundry Pretreater bar of soap it is found in the laundry isle. Most likely semi-hidden, if not available, you may have to use Zote. I have never tried this brand. OR you may use your own homemade soaps for those that are truly brave! But if you use your own, use a whole bar.)
1/2 c washing soda (Arm and Hammer. Do not use baking soda or the regular laundry detergent. Check label closely. I have had people asking me if they can substitute, because they bought the wrong one. I don't know how, they don't work the same. Use it for something else. Don't use this on fiberglass either.)
1/c c borax (20 Mule Team. This can be used for literally a million things! But if it is a pesticide, and it is...please use care.)
Water hot and warm
2 gallon bucket
Ok, lets get making.
Grate and melt the Fels Naptha in a steel pot with 6 cups of Hot Water.
Add borax and washing soda and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups of Hot Water into bottom of the bucket. Now stir in your mixture from the stove and make sure it is totally combined. Now add 1 gallon of water, plus 6 cups of water and stir. Put a lid on it and leave alone for 24 hours. Now, I was told this would come out like egg drop soup. This has never been my experience. It has always been a solid gel. You can just scoop out and use, but I use a potato masher from Pampered Chef, because it is the sturdiest one I own and mash it up and it becomes a little more gel-like.
Scoop out 1/2 cup, toss in your laundry and you are good. Clean clothes are on the way. You can always add a little more or a little less of the ingredients depending on what you need, but this is a good starter base.
When I realized I could spend $16.00 on a gallon of laundry soap or make 2 gallons for 80 cents. I didn't have to think very hard about this.
Added bonus, we have LOTS of allergies in our home. I can only use 2 brands of Commercial Laundry Soap anyway. After we started this, all soap allergies cleared up. So now I have considerably lowered my Elidel Creme bill. That stuff is amazing! But why use it if you don't have to? It is like $90.00 a large tube now.
Another bonus is I have Asthma. As I started making products myself, my asthma has gotten better. I think because there are less harsh chemicals in my home.
So there you are. Pretreaters and Fabric Softeners and all kinds of stuff, coming up! What would you like to see first?
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




2 comments:
Awesome! I can't wait to try it!
OK...does this work for a front loader? I am always having to look for that special He detergent plus it is so expensive. I will look forward to your other products...this is fascinating to me.
Post a Comment