Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lessons from the Laundry Monster

I am so grateful to have a washer again! We have been using our take care of yourself incentive (a washboard) for our family because I don't really have time to go to the Laundromat right now. So I was really happy to see that we were blessed with a washer. This morning I was contemplating life and the things we have passed through and Puppie helped me to see things a little clearer. He has decided it is HIS job to empty the lint screen and he dutifully does. He has adopted two special pillows for himself. He carries them EVERYWHERE and uses them for everything. If he curls up in a blanket, they have to be just so! Must sit outside the blanket and stack on top of himself with the cars pillow closest to his face. This doesn't vary. He never forgets about them. His first concern and last concern of the day is the pillows. So I had snuck his pillows and threw them in the washer. He was busy with the house Nicole built for them all and so he didn't notice right away. I emptied the dryer and he helped, laughing and singing all the while. Then he grabbed the lint screen and turned to stomp so quickly (How is it that someone who weighs less than 30 lbs. can sound so very loud?) to empty in the garbage and I swung into action, I scooped the pillows out of the washer and into the dryer and he turned around, like they had somehow called him. How did he know???? PILLOW! He screamed! I said just a minute. It has to dry and you can have them all you want. This was not to be the case as he mournfully wailed and clutched at the dryer door and slid his hand mournfully down the side of the dryer door. He cried and cried and would not be comforted. I tried to hold him and he turned to the dryer door again where he knew his pillow was being held captive against his will. Eventually he turned and sat on the floor and rested his head against the door. Pillow. He mumbled. Pillow. He rubbed away his tears with tightly clenched fists, and looked at me and said Pillow. I know, I soothed and held him. Soon. He went back to playing but every few minutes, he looks at the dryer awaiting the ultimate gift. He knows its there and he checks if he hears a different sound just to make sure it isn't done and he didn't notice. Can you just see his face when those pillows emerge? The joy and happiness that will take up his face entirely, I know he will hug their warmth to him and bury his face and inhale the fabric softner.
Why do I tell you this story?
A couple of reasons, I see myself in my little boy. I see how I am this way in my greatest tragedy. First, I refused to be comforted. The pain of separation was just too great. Then I clung desparately to Him and understood, but still hurt so much. Finally acceptance started to shine it's light and I could see that it was truly in His hands. He is still there. I know it, I can feel it. I am waiting patiently, I know my reward is great, for I have felt my little guys spirit. I know one day we will be reunited, not in this world, but in a better and I know I am free to be expectant, to learn and grow as much as possible so that I will be prepared to meet him again. I know I will wrap him in my arms as the Savior has wrapped me. I know that he needed a body, but didn't necessarily have to grow here. I know the Lord is watching over him and protecting him and waiting for me too. I will hold him and bury my head in his shoulder and I will inhale his scent and know he is mine. I am so grateful for the things that the Lord teaches me and I am grateful to know He lives!
See? Puppie heard the silence fall of the dryer immediately! He rushed to the dryer and he just did exactly what I said. He is now curled up in the couch holding his pillows and 2 last fingers in his mouth and perfectly content.
I, on the other hand, will keeping trudging along and keeping working and playing and laughing and loving until I grab your hand and someday I will be brought up to meet Him and after I greet Him, I know He will look and point and I will rush to my son and I will hold him and all will be well, and I will turn to you and say, See? I told you it was so!

3 comments:

Elizabeth J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth J. said...

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I am so sorry that you lost your little baby. I can't possibly comprehend the pain you must feel because my own pain is so different (not less or greater: just different). It is strengthing to know, however, that we share a sisterhood in our motherhood and our loss, and that we are fighting so hard for the same goal: our eternal families!!

Much Love,
Elizabeth

Sockrma18 said...

God has a plan.....that's all I know. You are so awesome, my friend!