Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chapter 12

We kiss and hug everyone goodbye and load up. We start driving towards the next place. I recognize it as our first stop on our date. We climb down the embankment. We sit on the ground and watch the water lapping at the edge. We talk about how far we have come and in such a short period. "So, you're sure you wanna be a Frisbie?" he asks. "I don't really know what that means, but I KNOW I want to be married to you." I admit.
I have a great idea. "Hey, you could propose here? It would be great. Where we first kissed, where we had our first date." I am getting excited. He looks at me. "I don't have a ring with me. I can't propose without the ring." he says this softly. I can't believe I said that out loud. I am having another moment where I just wish I could have a rock slide or something divert attention from me. He moves on and tells me we need to get going as we have a long ways to travel. "Where to?" he doesn't answer. We climb back in and start the journey of a billion smiles.

Missouri border. I start thinking. Missouri. Missouri. Missouri.... His Mom lives there. That must be it. I reason silently. We stop in Hannibal, it is the home of Mark Twain. It is closed, so we could only see a little bit. It was fun though. Took a few more pictures.
We travel farther. We see a hitchhiker. "Do you care if I pick him up?" I don't care. He climbs in. He is so happy! "Thank You!!" he effuses. He tells us his story.
He had woken up and prayed and KNEW it was going to be a great day. God had told him in the shower that it would be fine and that he would cover many miles today. He started down the road and had been getting more and more discouraged. Only 4 cars drove this stretch today and none had stopped. He was getting angrier and angrier. He was kicking stones and yelling at the road and swearing and then we had drove up and he just knew he would be safe and his prayer had been answered.
He was a rough looking young man. He was very careful to keep his arms covered. He pulled his sweatshirt sleeves down over his wrists to conceal the many tatoos covering them. "It's ok. What are they?" I ask to help him feel more comfortable.
He starts explaining about gangs he had been in and their meanings. He assures us he is no longer in them. He is on his way to see his ole lady and his baby girl. He had started in Florida and was headed to Washington. He was going the furthest you could go in the US. He starts telling us his journey to the Lord. He wants to start a church called A1 Power to the Lord. We talk for a while and stop at a McDonalds. He has only eaten Double Cheeseburgers the whole way. He wants to tell his daughter when he gets older how many double cheeseburgers it takes to cross the US. We laugh at him and get him 2. He tells us about his family and friends and where he has spent the night the last few nights.
I forget we have a destination in mind as we speak to this young man. He is so animated and happy. He weaves story after story of growing up in the hills where it looked like the movie deliverance. He makes me laugh. Brad asks, "So, would you like us to take you all the way to 29? We would have to make one stop, but I could take you all the way there." He readily agrees. I start thinking again. Where can he take me that it would be appropriate to take a hitch hiker. Nice as he may be, does his Mom really want a hitchhiker around her home? His Brother lives there, but he has several young children. That doesn't seem right either. hmmmmm. "What?" I am shaken from my thought processes. They start another round of stories and I get sucked in.

"Kiss me." Brad says. Is he crazy? I don't want to kiss him in front of anyone else. "Kiss me, quick!" he insists. We are in the middle of nowhere. I kiss him quick and promptly turn all red again. The hitchhiker laughs and Brad has a satisfied smile on his face. "Why?" I ask. "Nothing." he is still smiling. It has been 3 hours since we had picked up Anthony. Brad turns in a drive. For the first time, he falls silent. No one breathes a word. I break the silence. "Is this it?" I wonder. Brad is smiling the biggest smile I had every seen. He got me good. I had no idea we were going here. On our first date he had asked me, "Where else would you like to go that you have never been?" I had told him since I was 12 I had wanted to go one place, but no one ever wanted to take me and I am directionally challenged, so I wouldn't venture out on my own. He smiles and points to the sign. Adam-Ondi-Ahman. "I had you kiss me so you wouldn't see the sign on the Highway." he is so pleased with himself. Brad had come here on his own right after our first date to scope it out and see if it was a suitable place. Anthony breathes slowly, "What is this place?" I quickly explain that this is where Adam spoke to his posterity for the last time before he died. In Genesis. He says, "It's so quiet here, almost reverent." We pull up to the overlook. I am so grateful there are bathrooms here. I run in and Brad is standing next to our hitchhiker, bent over and they are in deep conversation. They straighten up immediately when I come out. "Let's go up to Tower Hill." "Ok." There is a path that leads up to the overlook. I walk quickly leaving Brad and Anthony in the dust. It is a natural sound system. I survey the view. So beautiful. I can't even describe it. I stand by myself. I am just about to turn. I am wondering where Brad is. He always comes up and puts his arm around me. In a voice that could melt butter, I hear "Lorianne." I turn slowly around. Brad is on one knee with a tiny gold box, topped with a tiny gold bow. I smile as the realization lights my mind. Our hitchhiker has now turned into a cameraman and is snapping photos through out the process. "Would you do me the honor of being my wife for all time and eternity?" "Yes." I said softly. Tears ran down my face and he stood up and kissed me and Anthony took pictures. "You two have inspired me man! When I get home, I'm gonna ask my ole lady to marry me." he is hopping like a little kid. "If you want her to say yes, you'd better quit referring to her as your old lady." I advise. We walk the grounds and hike up a path. It is kinda difficult in heels though, so we turn back and head towards the car. We take Anthony to the Gas Station. He doesn't really want us to leave him. He tells us thank you so much. You have changed my life. We thank him as well. I will now have pictures for one of the most important days in my life. I can't thank him enough. Brad and I step arm and arm into the gas station. Over the loudspeaker is playing, Going To The Chapel and We're Going To Get Married. We start laughing.

Brad is struck with a worrisome thought. "I did this wrong." "What?"
"I didn't ask your Dad." he is really upset with himself.
I offer him my cell. He quickly dials. "Hello Sir." he greets.
"Hello." He responds.
"This is Brad. I was wondering if it would be alright to take your beautiful daughter's hand in marriage?" he is smiling.
Nothing. No response. 15 minutes pass by.
"Sir?" Brad asks not so confident anymore.
"I'm thinking." he replies.
I start laughing. I know my Dad is getting ready to mess with him.
"Who is that cackling like a hen?" he asks.
"That is your daughter, Sir." he doesn't know what to think of this conversation. Not going how he thought it would.
"Did you ask your Bishop?"
"Yes sir."
"What did he say?"
"He said to ask her."
""Uh huh."
"Did you ask your Stake President?"
"Yes sir."
"What did he say?"
"He thought it was alright."
Long pause again.
"What does she think about it?"
"Well, she seems alright sir."
Long pause again.
"Well, I guess so." Dad finally says.
"Thank you Sir. We'll see you when we get back."
"Ok. Bye."

Brad is now wondering if my Dad wants him to marry me. I assure him it is fine. He is just worried about me and he has an ornery streak a mile wide that he really likes to mess with people. He wouldn't have said yes if he didn't mean it.

Brad takes me all over Missouri and shows me where he used to live and where friends had lived that where important to him growing up. I am humbled by the places I see. I can't imagine. I always thought we had grown up without much at times. I am keenly aware now how blessed I was. He fills me in on gaps in his life and what he felt about things. He tells me how he wants much better for us and our kids. He takes my hands and cups them gently in his. "I want to make you a beautiful home." I smile.
"Something you can be proud of."

"How far are we from your Mom?" he wrinkles his nose. "Maybe 3-4 hours?"
"Could we meet her too?" I ask.
"Yeah, it's out of the way. But if you want to meet, sure."
"What is she like?" I ask timidly, a little worried about how I will be received.
"She'll love you." he seems positive.
"My Dad's wife just really wanted me to marry someone else. She'll come around. Just give her time. She'll get to know you and love you too."
I stare out the window with tears slipping silently down my neck. "I hope so." I wish.

Brad knocks softly on the door. Larry answers. Brad puts his fingers to his lips. Larry points to his wife resting on the couch. He gets on his knees and gives her a quick peck on the cheek. "HI MOM!" she rouses and slaps him. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" She sits up and wipes the sleep from her eyes.

She stands up and gives me a big hug. "Welcome to the family, sweetheart." she has a thick, Missouri accent. It's really fun for me to hear her talk. "Have you met my boys?" She guides me over to the pictures. She introduces each son and her daughter and what they looked like when they graduated and in the service and what their families are like now. Brad's picture has his ex girlfriend in it. She strategically places herself in front of the photo and says, "This isn't that great of a picture of Brad, I have been meaning to replace it. We'll put your wedding picture up here." she offers.
Wow. This is a MUCH different reception than the last house. The last one I was flooded with pictures of Brad and his ex girlfriend and told how happy they were and that she felt so bad I was a rebound relationship and how he preferred blondes. Polar opposites. We chat for a while, but it is almost midnight. We have a 6 hour drive and an hour back home in order to get back to work in time and get the kids to school. We tell her we will see her next Saturday. She thanks us for coming. We all hug and load up.

1 comments:

Kim said...

FINALLY...had been waiting for your next installment!!