This is the shortened version. Bear with me. If you wait until the end, you will find the journey may have been worth it in the end.
Sitting in my house. I am newly divorced, starting my life again, becoming a realtor, and raising 4 kids. I had just finished cleaning the house, but had shoved all the toys and games left out back into the little, short half closet. My rugrats, this was their domain and responsibility and I was NOT cleaning it today. I stretched out on my couch and was contemplating my life and all of it's complexities. Things were changing quickly for me.
I had just become a realtor and taken a position. I was feeling pleased with the changes. My phone rang and shook me from my ponderings.
It was Susanne. She was REALLY excited. She started the conversation off, "Hey! I found your Eternal Companion."
I told her,"The Lord doesn't work that way, He would tell me, NOT you!" I was snippy and not really amused. Then she said, "Well, I don't know about you, BUT I may not always go to church and do all the things I am supposed to, but I feel the Holy Ghost too."
I ended the conversation feeling chagrined. She had a point, but still, it seemed ridiculous to me.
I was dating here and there. Most guys I was fairly disappointed in. In Church or out. Most were not into Eternal Families. They were focused on the second we were in. I found one date that didn't seem to be like that. He was kind, polite, quiet, shy and willing to listen to my heart. After a few dates, he asked me to marry him and I said Yes. I was immediately a little worried. He gave me a beautiful ring and we showed it to my Mom and she said, "Your pocket is considerably lighter today, isn't it?" I went home and felt more unsettled. There was nothing he was doing wrong. It just didn't feel right. I sat on these feelings for another day or so, and finally called him and said we needed to talk. When we were able to be face to face, I told him I didn't know why, but I had prayed about marrying him and I was left feeling that it wasn't right. I told him I was really sorry, not sure if it wasn't the right time or what. I just knew I couldn't marry him right now. I handed him back the ring, and he threw it at me. THEN I knew why. This isn't what I wanted in a relationship. I was sad, but felt oddly relieved too. A few days later, I answered the phone again. Susanne had called again, she was really grateful I had stopped my wedding plans short. She started telling me about this guy, he was her Home Teacher. Brad. She went on and on about his 1970 White Monte Carlo. I said, "If you think he's so great, why don't YOU date him?" She immediately fired back, "Because I think DAN would be opposed." Probably, I wasn't interested in meeting him until she mentioned he was a contractor and I made a connection that maybe this could be a good thing to have a resource of a contractor for selling houses. My ex, had called in the meantime and wanted to know if I had fixed the ceiling in Sir Talks A Lot's room. No, it didn't leak anymore and I didn't know how to fix the water damage. He offered to send his Home Teacher over. His name was Brad. He made fun of me saying, "He oughtta be right up your alley. Wearing cowboy boots." I was not amused.
So I agree to let Brad that Susanne knows come to give me an estimate on my house, not realizing this is the SAME Brad my ex recommended.
He shows up in cowboy boots, a humble attitude and a fleece lined jean jacket. He politely introduces himself and asks to see the room. I show him and he is all business and says, "You don't need to pay me to do this work, you can do this yourself. This is the list of materials you need." He busies himself writing out things I can pickup at Menards. Then he looks up and says, "Wait. I think Susanne told me you have Asthma. You can't use this chemical. Maybe you could call your Home Teacher to do this part."
I wonder. Why were they talking about that? Second, why did he remember?"
He asks if their is anything else he would like me to have him look at before he leaves. I said "Yeah, the toilet downstairs."
He looks at it and says, this is something you could do yourself too. I could pick up the supplies for you, but you will have to install it yourself. I readily agreed. He agreed to let me use his tools so it would be cheaper for me.
There was an inordinate amount of single guys in the small town I lived in and they were constantly coming by telling me what they would do for me or just mowing my yard, whatever. It was becoming really annoying. So to have someone offer to just teach me and not take over was like a breath of fresh air. I had asked one to help me install my kids bunk beds because I couldn't carry it by myself, or hold all the pieces. He seemed nice, but then creepy as he told me all things about me. I told him no one is that good of a guesser. He then admitted he had paid to look me up online and read my all about me. He was ushered quickly out of the house and never invited back.
Brad made an appt to come back in a few days. I felt peaceful. I had the biggest house on the market in my sights and another I was preparing to bring a contract to sell within a couple weeks. I slept soundly.
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




4 comments:
MORE, MORE, MORE.....don't stop now! :0}
yeah...i just read pioneer woman's love story and it got me in the mood to read more...and now you start yours...how fun. Waiting for your next installment!!
Some times it really does pay to listen to your big sister. Sorry the first guy was just an older version of what you had just removed, I knew that. I just wanted you to be happy. And I'm so glad you listened. Your first date was kinda crazy. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT FOR GOD TO LISTEN AND KNOW WHAT IS IN YOUR HEART. HE STILL LOVES THOSE OF US WHO STRUGGLE.
I think we all struggle, just sometimes the struggles are in different ways. We all have to grow and stretch and learn. I just thought He would tell ME first. Who would've thunk it.
Post a Comment