Halloween.
So excited. Kids are home from school and we are making a mad dash to get costumes ready, faces painted, and to Susanne's.
Dan strolled through the house. I stopped and asked him if he would mind making some stew meat for me. I wouldn't have time if I went trick or treating and Brad was coming by at 11pm.
"Sure, I can do that." he agreed.
"Thanks."
I had previously called my ex and told him the rules. No touching, not a date, JUST doing something for our kids. I don't want back together. Nothing like that. He said he understood.
Apparently he got confused.
I was on the phone back and forth between my boss and my client. Some issues were coming up and our solutions were coming together during trick or treating.
Ex was NOT amused.
"Can't you turn that phone off for one minute?" he demanded.
"Not if I want the sale." I retorted. "They want someone who is available and if I don't answer, they will find someone else who will and I need this sale."
"I remember when your family USED to be important to you." he said quietly, but dripping with sarcasm.
I glared.
We walked on, trick or treating the kids bounding up and down the steps of various houses and collecting their loot.
He walked in step with me and I speeded up.
I stood behind our youngest and knelt down to pick her up, she was getting chilly.
He stood beside me and wrapped one arm around me, resting his hand on my hip.
I glared again, and dropped his hand quickly.
"This is not for YOU, it is for them." I stated firmly.
He was angry.
It was a long walk back to Susanne's.
We started the party and the kids were busy decorating cupcakes, making witches brews out of green stuff and noodles and assorted items. Spooky music was playing and it should've been really fun.
He sat in the corner. Tears silently coursing down his face. Kids were running back and forth wiping tears off his face, kids asking him if he is ok.
He just mutters, "If your Mother would just stop this."
Susanne looks at him and says, "Are you ready to stop being a wallflower?"
He gets up and says, "Well, I guess I need to get going."
My phone rings.
"Hello?"
"Hi. It's Brad! Are you ready for our date tonight? I am on break, thought I would just check in and see how you are. I have some juice boxes and a camera in my van for our date tonight." he sounds really happy.
Just at that second, Dan walks in with a pan full of stew meat.
"I hope it's ok, I sauted it in butter. I wasn't sure what you were making this into for your date?" he explained.
"What???" he roared. "You have a date and Dan is cooking for you?" ex is really mad now.
Dan IS a really good cook AND in my opinion is best with meats. Only made perfect sense to me.
Until this second.
I don't respond, and take my cellphone outside.
Ex continues with a litany of misdeeds of me of the night.
Dan is bewildered holding the pan. Eventually, he goes back to the kitchen.
Susanne tries to calm down the ex.
I fill Brad in quickly and he offers some sage advice. I tell him I have to go back in. He has to go back to work.
"I am looking forward to our date." he says.
"Me too." I respond. I really am. I have no idea what to expect.
Ex looks at me and pushes his way past me through the front door. He gets in his car and leaves.
Susanne brightens up and says, "Time for the Monster Mash."
It gets really loud.
I scurry off to get ready for my date.
Brad and I spent the ensuing week on the phone from 11pm to 2-4am. I tired, but at the same time wired and really beginning to wonder at this man that had so much to talk about and share. He labeled himself as just a simple man, but I was discovering for myself that he was anything but.
I picked up the card setting on my table. Brad had dropped it off earlier in the week. It had thanked me for my missionary efforts and that he knew that someday I would recognize the myriads of people I would bless.
So sweet.
I busied myself making beef stew and putting it in the crock pot.
I made homemade blueberry muffins and had those baking.
I showered and dressed. put on my make-up and had just pulled the muffins out. I started packing everything up.
10 minutes. I prayed.
Brad knocked and I welcomed him in. He had just gotten off work and was full of metal shavings.
"Would you mind if I showered first? I have all my stuff with me, I just need to change." he inquired.
"Yeah, that's ok." I showed him where everything was. Bizarre way to start a date, but ok.
He came out and we talked for a few minutes. He asked me if I had my scriptures. We read through and studied what we would be seeing the next day. It was really fun. I loved hearing his insights and sharing what I saw.
"Do you mind if we go over my Gospel Doctrine Lesson for Sunday? Someone has kept me up all night for the last week and I haven't even opened it. I am not sure I will get a chance before Sunday." I ask.
"Not a problem."
"Ok, Lesson 35...." I slam the book shut. :Nothing. Umm, do you want to help me carry everything out to the van?" I try to change the subject and slip the book behind me wanting it to disappear.
"Why? What is the lesson?" he asks.
"Nothing, it....it...we probably need to go." I stammer. My face and chest is red and hot and I am embarrassed beyond belief. The couch cushions could do me no greater service than to swallow me up whole and devour me. Why do I have to be so impulsive? Why couldn't I have pulled it out and saw what it was earlier? He is going to think I am looking for a proposal on the first date.
Mortified if the word of the day.
He smiles gently and reaches behind me and looks it up.
"Recognizing your Eternal Companion." he reads slowly. He smiles, "This is isn't so bad. Here what does it say here?"
I say hardly anything. He starts the lesson and starts offering suggestions on how I could present it. They are actually good ideas. I am impressed. I scribble some notes on the sidebar. I sit back up and he has swiveled around and I lean into his arm instead of the couch I was expecting.
Smooth.
We sit quietly for a few minutes.
"We should probably get ready to go if we want to see first light." he says moving my hair off my shoulder.
"ok."
We travel outside with our dinner for the evening and both arms full. He opens the door to his van.
I say, "Couldn't we take my van?"
"Why?" he is very proud of his van.
"Well, well, I ummm, I don't know." I mumble.
"Spit it out."
"Well, is it able to get that far?" I ask.
"What do you mean? This is a classic!" he feigns like he is deeply hurt.
"Well, it reminds me of the Possum Lodge." I say.
He laughs heartily, "I am deeply hurt, wow, fine, I see how it is." he continues laughing.
"I'll let you drive though." I try to make it better.
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




0 comments:
Post a Comment