Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chapter 3

We had come home and had dinner. Everyone was wore out from the park. They ate with gusto. We studied scriptures as a family. I put everyone to bed and settled down for some studying I was desperately trying to accomplish. Nothing was sticking in my head. The Law portion of Real Estate was the easiest for me. I scored high on all my tests, math was a whole other subject. I could do it, sooo grateful for Real Estate Calculators. Expensive, but I was made confident with it tucked in my box I carried with me. I opened the days mail. Bills, bills, bills. What was this? Handwritten.
I had a condo I had written on offer on for a client. It was a GREAT offer for both sides. My paycheck from this would last 2 months. Nothing in the works this week, just later.
I opened the letter. Some family wanted to find a Realtor and was describing their situation and desires.
Who finds a realtor this way? I didn't care. I had a nibble.
I called and filled my week up showing houses and found them several properties. My little minivan was getting a workout.
I looked at my desktop calender and realized that my phone calls and marketing had been paying off. I filled day after day with at least 4 to 6 appointments. Then I noticed Brad was supposed to be at my house in one hour. I had totally forgot. It was an hour away to pick the kids up. One hour back. I didn't even know his number to call. THINK. THINK. THINK.
I called Susanne. "Would you mind picking up the kids for me?"
"What's up?"
"I forgot about Brad, and he is supposed to be at my house and..."
She cut me off. "Sure." She was so smug and happy, I thought about canceling. No, might as well get it over with.
I rushed home and threw in some laundry. I was straightening up the weeks files and a knock came at my door. I forget his name, but he came and asked if I had a few minutes. I said sure. I had seen him around a few places in town. He seemed really nice and attentive. I told him he could talk if he didn't mind following me around the house while I finished my chores. He laughed. He followed me around. I was hanging laundry in closets and wiping down the bathrooms. He laughed and said, "What are you? Some kind of Type A personality?" "Why do you say that?" I asked genuinely confused.
"Well, I have been in a LOT of single ladies homes, and I have never seen one this clean. Usually they are stacked to the ceiling with dirty clothes and dishes spilling over the sink and countertops."
"Maybe you could appreciate that they are doing everything themselves, bread winner, Mom and Dad and maid. Maybe they are just doing the best they can."
He grunted.
"Did you have something you needed or did you just come to compare housekeeping skills with the rest of the town?"
"Did I offend you? I meant it as a compliment." He seemed sorry. "Do you have any Pepsi?"
"No, I like most single Mom's make the best of what we have. That doesn't include buying pop. It means we have necessities first." I smiled, softening my words.
"Oh. Do you want me to take care of you?" he breathed out quickly.
"What????" I was caught completely off guard and wasn't sure I had heard him right.
"If you would take me, I could ease your burdens. Make it easier for you." he leaned closer to me.
"What? No, what you think I am just... I don't even KNOW you."
I was really steaming now and irritated.
"I take care of a lot of single Mom's around here. They seem to appreciate it." he said off handedly, like this made it more APPEALING.
"OUT!" I didn't try to sound nice at all.
I slammed the door, locked it and turned around a slid down the door. I leaned against the door. "This is INSANE. Does this happen to other people?" I wondered silently. I shook my head trying to shake off the anger I was feeling.
I heard tires in the gravel beside my door. "Here we go again." I thought.
Brad knocked on the door. I let him in. He brought tools and equipment. He silently filled my bathroom. I sat on the side of the tub. I felt oddly comfortable. He didn't look at me. He just handed me a wax ring.
I smiled.
"Not a clue where this goes." I sighed.
"In the floor. First you are going to take off the toilet." still looking down and handing me tools.
"Ok." I said. "Ewww. Really, I do clean my house. I didn't know that was even there!"
He chuckled warmly. He reassured me everyone's back of the toilet is like that, you really can't reach it unless you take it apart.
"Oh. That's gross." I admitted.
He smiled and looked at his cowboy boots. He sat on the tub beside me.
I worked following his simple instructions. I sat looking at him, making sure I did it right.
He would softly affirm and tell me the next step.
"I forgot a hacksaw." he told me.
"What is it for?" I asked.
"To cut the toilet tank pipe to fit." He mumbled.
"I got it... It'a a doohickey, that's what my Dad called it." I jumped over my mess and grabbed a Ginsu knife off the countertop.
I walked back in.
He looked at me and busted out laughing. Loud.
"My Dad would be so proud right now. You have no idea to see his little girl with black fingernails, and chopping a tank pipe with a kitchen knife. He would love it." I giggled. He laughed harder. It was really fun. I was really enjoying myself and I just changed all the parts of my toilet by myself. I was excited.
He got himself under control and said, "Can I talk to you?"
I am instantly wary. Not again....I don't trust men much these days.
"I am your ex's Home Teacher."
"I see." I say quietly. Wondering what is coming next.

Really quiet in my house right now.

"He is really upset right now. This is really hard on him. I can see it. I have three daughters myself and I have been through a divorce. It is so hard on everyone. Especially kids. I see what it does my kids and it breaks my heart. If there is anything you haven't tried or given a shot or whatever. Just think about it." he sighed and looked down.
I took a deep breath. "Listen to me. I don't tell many people this, but this is how I know I am making the right decision. This is how my life has changed." I spoke for an hour and a half. He sat staring at me. Never said one word. Just nodding his head slowly at times.
He took another deep breath when I finished.
"I will never ask you to reconsider again."
He started to tell me the story of his life. It mirrored my own. I was speechless. His ex-girlfriend was like my ex in a skirt. I was floored. He had a life filled full of faith. He trusted. He thought. He prayed. Wow.
He stood up and started gathering his things. He asked if I had Home Teachers. I said I hadn't seen one in 2 years. He asked if I would mind if he Home Taught my family.
I told him that would be fine. He said he had already met all my kids at my ex's and had been teaching them already. I said ok. I needed to go pick up my kids. I left a couple minutes after he did. As I turned on to the Highway, I saw a 1970 Monte Carlo parked at the side of the road and a dark haired man bowed in prayer. I drove on by slowly.




I snuggled down in my bed. I opened my scriptures. It opened to Zephaniah. My eyes laid upon these words.
Sing O daughter of Zion; shout O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem.
The Lord hath taken away thy judgments, he hath cast out thine enemy: the king of Israel, even the Lord, is in the midst of thee: thou shalt not see evil anymore.
Fear thou not: and to Zion, Let not thy hands be slack.
The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.
I will gather them for a solemn assembly, who are of thee, to whom the reproach of it was a burden.
Behold I will undo all that afflict thee: and I will save her that halteth, and gather her that was driven out; and I will get them praise and fame in every land where they have been put to shame.
At that time I will bring you again, even in the time that I gather you: for I will make you a name and a praise among all the people of the earth, when I turn back your captivity before your eyes, saith the Lord.
I closed my book, and fell asleep.

0 comments: