Brad kept to his word, he stopped by when he thought we would all be home. Brought home grown tomatoes and peppers. Read us a story out of The Friend in monotone. He didn't read animated yet, like he does now. It was really boring. He would shake our hands and ask if there was anything we needed. I would respond no. He would leave and life would go on. He started calling the kids monkeys and would play with them as he left. They would follow him to his car like he was a Pied Piper.
When you are recently divorced, I really believe God gives you special blessings to help you succeed. He doesn't like His children to fail. Nor, does He make us follow.
Things were not all flowers and rainbows. Yet, I saw clearly how blessed I was and protected, as long as I was obedient to what I knew was right.
I started to review my life and changes. I had joined two Board of Realtors and had been put in positions of huge responsibility. Scary for a newbie. I relished the challenge. It was fun. Meeting new people, trying things I had never done before, completely reinventing my life. I was feeling accepted, smart and happy.
Hey, I am happy. I am happy ... the realization dawned slowly on me. I still had negative people around me. They still told me what I was trying to do was hopeless. I couldn't succeed.
I trusted God more though. He brought people in my life that helped me and blessed me more than I deserved. Satan, was still dishing up his nightly fair but I could discern easily between the two now. I knew who loved me.
I knelt down and prayed, my life is good. The only real obstacles in my life only rear their ugly heads when I invite men in my life. I started making a case why I shouldn't date anymore. I was happy, my children were happy... I was actually building a strong case.
Made perfect sense.
To me.
I set my case before Him, Thy will be done, but you are going to have to hit me in the head with a 2x4 if you want me to date. I just don't see the benefit. I closed my prayer and went to bed.
I wakened early as was my new found skill. (Another one of those veiled blessings)
I began to understand if I wakened by 4 am, God wanted to teach me something and became a sponge. I read and prayed and started our routines.
After I dropped everyone off, I went to get gas at the station. My friend who had long, blonde hair...long, down to the middle of his back, full beard and covered in tattoos, from his ears to his ankles. He looked scary. He was the biggest teddy bear you ever saw. He grunted at me.
"Hey!" I waved. He was too cool to wave back.
He continued pumping his gas.
"Umm,are you dating anyone?" he asked.'
"Nope. Men are pond scum."
He snorted.
"What if I told you there was a guy you should meet? He's as bigga Jesus Freak as you are. Seems like you guys would make a good pair." he looked up and stared at me. Kinda felt like a challenge.
"His name is Brad Frisbie. You should let me set you up." he smiled.
He was an avowed atheist. He believed in doing good things, but was irritated and amused by my faith. He always listened though.
"Thanks, already met him. He is nice, but I don't know if I want to date or not."
I slipped away to pay for my gas.
I got in line and another girl was in front of me. She turned and recognized me.
"Lorianne! How are you?" she turned and hugged me.
"Good. You?" she smiled and went through the usual laundry list answer.
"Are you dating?" she inquired, her blue eyes dancing.
"No, it doesn't seem to fit in with my life now."
"Oh, you have to meet this guy, he is WONDERFUL! I work with him, his name is Brad Frisbie...." I really didn't hear much of what else she said. I was thinking what is going on.... I excused myself and paid my bill and trucked off to work.
The bell rang as I opened the door. My boss, was sitting at his desk turning a card over and over in his fingers.
"Ready, for the day?" I encourage.
"Yeah, yeah, yeah...." He is listens to me about anything. Offers advice and experience when I need it and watches over us like another Father. He was also very grateful when I announced I wasn't getting married anymore. He never interfered, he just smiled and made comments.
"I had a visitor this morning." he slowly grinned. He continued turning his card and smiling.
"Who?" I ventured.
" Contractor, nice, polite."
"Uh huh..." I said people often came in from different companies and left business cards. I busied myself checking schedules and to do lists.
He got up and came over to my desk. He dropped the card in front of me.
Brad Frisbie Owner.
"You too?" I exasperate.
"What?" he is confused.
"Everyone, my sister, my ex, people at the gas station all want me to date him."
He grins and chuckles. Louder and Louder. "Well, he does seem nice." he drops the conversation.
I gather up and head out to my first appointment of the day. Shaking my head, but smiling.
Reaching my first appointment of the day, I show them around the farm.
"Needs new windows, but I am sure we can work that into an offer." I explain.
We walk around squishy mud in the lots.
"Met a contractor yesterday. He might work out." he concedes.
"Great! What's the company? I can recommend some others so you can price compare." I offer.
"Brad Frisbie."
I am stunned.
"Is he following me?" I think. I glance around. "Nope."
We finish up.
I complete the day and head to pick up my kids, but first a quick stop at WalMart.
I grab a cart and see 2 Senior Sister Missionaries that I saw several months ago in my area.
They greet me excitedly and ask how I am.
We chit chat and catch up.
"Are you divorced now?"
"Yep."
"Dating?" my stomach tightens. "No, not now." I admit.
"2 handsome men come to mind...Hmmm one doesn't seem as right as the other. What do you think?" she looks to her companion. She nods agreeably, turning on a 1000 watt smile.
"Ones name is___________." I laugh out loud. "That's my ex."
"I knew that didn't seem quite right." she twittered. "The other, Ohhh, he is NICE.... Brad Frisbie." I quickly excuse myself and off to the the fruits and vegetables aisle. I am quickly joined by another dear friend. She sidles up next to me and says, "Did you meet anyone yet?" I roll my eyes. Are there no other conversations to be had????
"Let me guess...you want to introduce me to Brad Frisbie?" I am wearying of this.
"Yes, he is as kind and gentle of soul as you will ever meet." she encourages.
I dismiss myself and am starting to wonder if he is paying people.
One last jaunt through the bean aisle where I find a young woman I used to teach as a teen brings him up as well. "He's a little old for you, don't you think?" I respond gently. She is about 16 yrs his junior. "Not for me silly!! For you!!"
I smile and I run out of the store and gather my kids and go home.
I don't even think he is interested.
What is with this 2x4? I need a tylenol.
The “What You Do” List
8 years ago




0 comments:
Post a Comment